Saturday 3 November 2012

Sik Wai Sin Eating House

Living near Geylang has its perks. I've been wanting to try Sik Wai Sin for a very long time but did not have the opportunity to do so until last week when my parents messaged to ask if I was keen to take a walk to Geylang after work. They wanted to try Sik Wai Sin too and my dad assured me that it was not too long a walk for my high heels. So we went.

It was further away from Kallang MRT than Lorong 9 Frog Leg Porridge and we had to walk on the main road most of the time as the pedestrian pavement was either full of tables, chairs or various objects. When we reached Sik Wai Sin, a couple of tables were already filled and the place was bustling with activity.

Sik Wai Sin is basically a modest zi char store which serves superb food. There is no menu here and the only way you know what to order is by listening to an elderly lady rattle on a list of yummy food. The eating area is linked to the kitchen so you can smell the delicious aroma of food being cooked at the back while you wait patiently for your food.


The elderly lady recommended several dishes and we went ahead with her recommendations. The Steamed Fish Head with Bean Paste was served first and it was so awesome. The fish was fresh and very tender, drenched in fragrant bean paste. 


Fried vegetables with prawns. The wok hei in this dish was incredible! Oh my, I love my zi char cooked over  very hot fire as the wok hei gives food an extra punch. It certainly takes a lot of skill to achieve this standard.


The last dish we ordered was Braised Pork Ribs with Bitter Gourd. The pork ribs were meaty and tender, absorbing the essence of the sauce completely. The thick slices of bitter gourd were not bitter at all and had this nice salty aftertaste. Yummy!


I figured the secret to the success of Sik Wai Sin zi char was not only the wok hei but also the lard used in all the dishes. I know, i know. Lard is unhealthy, clogs my arteries and puts all my hours in the gym to waste. But hey, none of the other types of oils can give your zi char this unique fragrance that only lard is able to achieve!

We ordered everything above without knowing the prices at all as there is no price list anywhere and the elderly lady was unlikely to list the prices verbally as well. So we only got to know the total bill when we paid for our meal. It was roughly $60 for 3 of us, 3 dishes and many bowls of rice. Quite reasonable for the large portions!

287 Geylang Road

No comments :

Post a Comment