Saturday 11 May 2013

Gerry's Grill at Cuppage

Out with the girls for dinner one Friday night and we wanted to try Eighteen Chefs but the waiting list was just too long. It was around dinner time and we were right smack in the heart of the Orchard area on a Friday night which basically means that every single dining establishment will be crowded. I did a quick search online and suggested that we venture to the Cuppage area for Gerry's Grill since the reviews were rather positive.

From my minimal research whilst walking from Cineleisure to 313, I gathered that Gerry's Grill serve Filipino food and has quite a presence in Manila. I've never really tried Filipino food before so I thought this might be a good opportunity. Gerry's Grill is situated in Starhub Centre, located at the back of the Cuppage area. We were ushered into a bustling crowded restaurant and settled down quickly.


We ordered some deep fried chicken, some grilled squid, the sizzling kangkong and shredded pork. I have to say, it really requires an acquired taste to truly enjoy the food here. Perhaps it's the way the food is cooked or the spices used, but everything tastes kind of sour. As I've never tried Filipino food before, I'm really curious as to whether the usual Filipino food has this interesting sour tangy taste to it as well!

Anyway, the deep fried chicken was average. The batter tasted kind of sour and the meat was slightly tough, and was completely not juicy at all. What a bummer. 


The grilled squid was also slightly sour. It tasted like any normal grilled squid, nothing much to scream about.


The sizzling kangkong was the only dish that was not sour, but I don't think it was done very well either. The vegetables were kind of limp and overcooked, not crunchy as one would expect fresh greens to be. 


Deep fried shredded pork which was tasty for the first few bites but just felt very oily after that. We didn't finish this dish because it did not taste like anything much after awhile and the oily taste was too persistent.


I doubt I would return but I concede that maybe it's truly an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire (and possibly will never acquire).

51 Cuppage Road
Starhub Centre


1 comment :

  1. hi! just stumbled your site upon searching for something. If only you have ordered Gerry's Pork Sisig or Crispy Pata or Sugba Kinilaw, you might have enjoyed a bit of our foods, I'm just not sure why those tasted sour for you (guess I should try them myself). Anyway, thanks for trying Filipino foods. Ciao! ^_^

    ReplyDelete