Tuesday 2 July 2013

Bali Day 4, Biku, Tanah Lot, Ginger Moon

I've read a lot about Biku before going to Bali and was very keen to try it. Biku is famous for their tea snacks  and tarot card reading. We decided to drop by for lunch on our 4th day in Bali and found out to our utmost surprise that it was a short five minute stroll from our villa! In fact, it was so convenient, it was the second most visited location after Potato Head.




Everything was very quaint in Biku. There is one corner dedicated to books and little items for sale and small wooden tables arranged neatly around the cafe. There is an outdoor sitting area if you are interested, but I was much more fond of sitting indoors and away from the crazy heat outside.


It was lunch so I decided to skip the famous teatime snacks and chose a main course instead. I had Ayam Rica Rica which was basically spicy chicken and stir-fried kang kong. A simple dish which was done very well! I love the soft tender chicken marinated with the yummy spicy sauce. The boyfriend had a burger which I did not try because it came with a beef patty so I helped myself to the fries instead. Very crispy fries!



Just in case you were wondering, I did not try the tarot card reading. As much as I am curious about the future and always wonder what the future holds for me, I am terrified as well. I don't suppose a trip to Bali would be a good time for me to confront my fears so there. I chickened out. 

We went back to our villa and lazed around until it was time to go for our Tanah Lot trip. We booked the Tanah Lot trip through our villa and the driver came promptly to pick us up. It was a 40 minutes ride, pretty smooth and we missed the crazy rush hour traffic (thankfully). The price of the Tanah Lot trip did not include the entrance fees so we paid when he drove us up to the counter.


The whole place was amazingly crowded. It was just filled with people everywhere. And I really mean everywhere, like you cannot turn around without bumping right into someone else. The surf was large around here, it was just strong fierce currents hitting the cliff repeatedly with sea spray going everywhere. As you can probably tell from the pictures below, we did not have much luck because it was dark, gloomy, and the clouds were definitely threatening to dump their load down on us (which they did less than an hour after we arrived).




When it began to rain, our driver herded us over to the hilltop cafe and asked us to take a seat because we can see the sunset from there. Unfortunately, the downpour meant that we did not have a glimpse of the spectacular sunset which Tanah Lot is famous for. What we did have was spending some quality time sipping beer, enjoying the strong gusts of wind, watching the waves crash against the cliff and basking in each other's company. Oh and not to mention getting a little wet in the down pour. I thought it was pretty hilarious how we were both trying to keep dry but eventually just giving up and sitting there being semi-soaked in the rain.


When we were done with our beers and the rain became smaller, we decided that it was time for dinner. Our driver on our trip from the airport shared with us about Ginger Moon and told us that they served awesome fusion food. It was either that or Ultimo which sounded really boring so I decided that we should definitely try something new and special.



The fusion food at Ginger Moon basically comprises of a mix of local and western delights. We ordered some fried rice, Babi Guling pizza (suckling pig pizza) and stir fried kangkong. The fried rice and stir-fried kangkong tasted average, exactly like what I expected and there was hardly any surprise. However the Babi Guling pizza was the bomb! I loved it. Crispy thin crust pizza with a generous serving of suckling pig. So delicious and definitely not like anything I have tasted before. The boyfriend was not too fond of the pizza though because he enjoys his pizzas with cheese and this didn't come with any. Oh well.



Read about Day 1, Day 2, Day 3Day 5 and Day 6!

No comments :

Post a Comment