Friday 31 January 2014

Standing Sushi Bar, Queens Street

This was my last nice meal before I fell sick on Wednesday and resigned myself to 5 days of porridge, noodles, and essentially boring healthy meals. I thought getting a flu jab meant that I was invincible against all flu viruses around, and the last thing I expected was to fall ill before departing to wintry Korea. I'm not even entirely convinced I'm going to survive the cold now in my weakened state. Let's just pray for the best. 

In any case, I barged into the clinic shortly before it closed at 6 pm on Wednesday and demanded to know why I was down with a cursed sore throat, cough, high fever, and the whole package when I already took the flu jab! That was when the doctor enlightened me that the flu jab only protected me against the common flu viruses and not anything outside that bunch. So whatever I caught was not common. Fml. Seriously. 

Anyway, rant over. Back to the Standing Sushi Bar. I came by after work and was greeted by an insane long queue that stretched from the door of the Standing Sushi Bar to the adjacent street! Thankfully we just needed a table for two so we queued obediently and entertained each other with interesting stories.

Standing Sushi Bar has pretty awesome weeknight promotions. Check out the promotions below, taken from their website:
  • Monday - $3 salmon sashimi, $2 sake, $5 beer, wine, hot sake, and umeshu
  • Tuesday - 50% off nigiri sushi, sashimi, and alcohol (housepour glass)
  • Wednesday - 50% off rolls, handrolls, and alcohol (housepour glass)
  • Thursday - $3 salmon sashimi, $2 sake, $5 beer, wine, hot sake, and umeshu
We came on a Monday night because I wanted cheap salmon sashimi. Cannot resist $3 salmon sashimi and $5 umeshu!


This was our first order of 20 slices of salmon sashimi. After finishing this plate, we proceeded to order another 15 slices. When we were done with all our salmon sashimi, I felt like there were many slices of raw fish swimming around in my belly. The salmon sashimi was good and fresh. The cuts were thick and juicy, just the way I like it.


We could not possibly only have salmon sashimi for dinner so we decided to order a hand roll. We had one of their specialty rolls, the Rockstar Roll, which was basically a roll with pan-seared salmon. It was delicious! I am always fond of pan-seared salmon and did not really care that this was truly an overdose of salmon.


We definitely had too much salmon for our own good. This dinner at Standing Sushi Bar was filled with raw and cooked salmon, and nothing else. But it was just so satisfying! Washing everything down with a $5 glass of umeshu made this dinner perfect!

Standing Sushi Bar at Queen Street is near NTUC Income at Bugis, right beside the entrance to the Bras Basah MRT station.

8 Queen Street

No comments :

Post a Comment