Friday 6 June 2014

Five and Dime Eatery, River Valley

It had been a while since I last met Tx and I was naturally pretty excited to finally catch up with an old friend over dinner. I was telling her about how I was incredibly tired of shopping centres and the usual chains found in them, and asked that we went somewhere else. Somewhere preferably as far away from a shopping centre as possible. She suggested Five and Dime, and the reviews looked good, so that was where we went.

I was surprised by how close Five and Dime was to my office. I walked to the bus stop beside High Street Centre, hopped onto bus 195, and alighted 4 stops later. Five and Dime was just a couple of steps away. I tried to call and make a reservation during lunch, but they were fully booked. Tx arrived first and we were given two seats along the counter.


Five and Dime was a small comfortable cafe tucked in a two-storey shop house. The white facade and the black frames gave the place a modern chic look while the interior was simple and cosy.



Five and Dime had a separate lunch and dinner menu. We flicked through the dinner menu quickly and settled for the Seared Salmon ($23). The Seared Salmon came with a generous helping of greens, mashed potato, and a thick slice of seared salmon baked with mozzarella and parmesan.

It was delicious. I loved the light salad and mashed potato, but I was extremely fond of the seared salmon coated with a layer of melted cheese. The melted cheese went extremely well with the seared salmon. The serving was large as well, which was just perfect for my hungry belly. 


As we were seated at the counter, I was initially quite perturbed by the repeated disturbances by the waitresses who were busy grabbing drinks from the bartender, replacing glasses back to the counter, marking down reservations on a large black book placed right beside me. I guess it was a small price to pay for not securing a reservation and having to sit along the counter. But the good thing about Five and Dime was that they did not chase us out into the pouring rain. It started to pour heavily while we were finishing our dinner, and all hopes to go any other place were dashed. We were also too full from the Seared Salmon to order any desserts, so we sat there along the counter for the whole night and thankfully we were allowed to do so. There were new customers streaming in as well but those were turned away because the cafe was full. I am honestly quite grateful that we were not driven into the downpour outside. 

297 River Valley Road
92365002
Mon - Thur: 12:00 - 22:00
Fri: 12:00 - 00:00
Sat: 10:00- 00:00
Sun: 10:00 - 22:00


No comments :

Post a Comment