Friday 1 August 2014

Kazu Sumiyaki, Cuppage Plaza

It was Lynda's birthday and she recommended Kazu Sumiyaki for awesome yakitori so that was where Lynda, Van and I went one evening after work. There were numerous japanese restaurants and bars under Cuppage Plaza's roof and I spotted many Japanese men drifting in and out of restaurants for their meals. Always a good sign when locals are checking out the same restaurant as I am. Kazu Sumiyaki was crowded when I reached and I was thankful I made a reservation. If you intend to drop by for yakitori, I would suggest that you make a reservation before doing so.

The seating area was small and cozy. Our table was one of three squeezed into a tiny room at the back. It provided some privacy but we were seated so close to the other two tables that I could hear everybody's conversation even though I did not mean to eavesdrop. It was quite a tight fit but I have to say that it was still pretty comfortable. 


We ordered a whole bunch of yakitori. We started off the night with Scallop and Bacon which was divine. The scallop was fresh and juicy which went superbly well with the salty crispy bacon. The Pork Belly with Enoki Mushroom (my personal favourite) was good too. Juicy fatty pork with crunchy enoki mushrooms is the best combination ever. 


Chicken wings and chicken yakitori next. They were nice and yummy, but not mind-blowing since everything else was just so fantastic.


Chicken skin. Now, I absolutely love crispy oily chicken skin but I am also acutely aware that one piece of chicken skin is going to put my gym routine to waste. I devoured the chicken skin anyway and am now trying to work off the extra calories.


Lynda's oily lips brushing against a particularly delicious yakitori. This sums up the whole night actually. Putting deliciously oily food into our mouths and washing them down with sake in dainty blue cups. 





Home made fish cake. It was yummy although I have to confess that I cannot tell the difference between this and the usual fish cake at the store downstairs. 


We had Pork Belly with Asparagus which was fantastic with tasty pork belly and fresh asparagus. The stick of grilled leek was pretty good too. However, the best was definitely the onigiri (grilled rice). Who could have guessed that rice would be so delicious! It is so amazing how a stick of grilled rice could be so crispy and yummy.


The Chicken and Ginger Bar was very unique. It was the first time I tasted something so interesting. Minced chicken and chopped ginger grilled with sweet sauce. I would definitely order this again if I return. 


You should place your order early if you wish to have baked sweet potatoes because they take a while to prepare these little babies. The sweet potatoes were served when we were done with the yakitori. I smeared a thin layer of butter on my sweet potato and it was so yummy! I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes usually but this was really good. 


Black Sesame Ice Cream with Red Bean and Mochi with Ice Cream for dessert. The former was good but not anything spectacular. The latter was mind blowing. I have not tasted any sweet treat that made me as happy as this did. Cold runny ice cream wrapped around chewy mochi. Ahhhh perfect dessert that melts deliciously in your mouth. 



This is definitely the best place to be for awesome yakitori. I would return if I want to indulge in some fantastic yakitori.

#04-05 Cuppage Plaza
5 Koek Road
67342492
Daily 18:00 - 22:00


No comments :

Post a Comment