Saturday 21 March 2015

The Boiler, Tai Seng

The Boiler is housed in an unlikely location off the beaten path. Situated in the Tai Seng industrial estate, The Boiler takes up a unit on the first floor of the Novelty Bizcentre. Haven't heard of that building before? Well, neither have I until Google Maps brought us here and we bumped around trying to find the unit.

We made a reservation for a weekday night but it turned out that they were not too busy on weekdays (thankfully!). I kind of like places which are not insanely crowded, and which do not pressure me to gobble up my food at lightning speed and evacuate. I like to eat slowly, sit around, drink some beers, then stumble home happily.


The Boiler serves seafood in Cajun style, similar to Cajun Kings and the Dancing Crab, and I should say that The Boiler is definitely a fierce competitor.

Beer first. They have some pretty interesting craft beers, none of which I have heard before, so I picked one randomly. St Bernardus Prior 8 was creamy and heavy, with a distinct bitter after taste. 


We ordered Bacon Shrimps with Hickory BBQ sauce and Spam Fries to share. The Boiler was not strong in their side dishes. The Bacon Shrimp was yummy with salty bacon wrapped around crunchy prawns. But the fresh prawns were completely overpowered by the Hickory Sauce. Spam Fries were good, but, as my friend pointed out, you can't go wrong with spam. 


The highlight was definitely the seafood. We had the Boiler's Duo Bag which came with prawns, mussels, clams, sausages, corn in a big plastic bag. You could pick the sauce and we had the pepper butter sauce. The sauce was incredible. It was not too heavy and had just the right amount of pepper for a kick. The seafood was just so fresh. 


Food was served quickly and the staff was very attentive. They offered the usual bibs and even provided a small clear bag for me to keep my phone which was sitting on the table. When we were done with our food and were chatting over our drinks, the waiters appeared swiftly and cleared the table at once. 

The Boiler was so good that my friend returned the week after and reported that their beerita was awesome. I'm definitely ordering that when I return!

Tue to Thurs: 17:00 to 22:30
Fri to Sat: 17:00 to midnight
Sun: 17:00 to 22:30
Closed on Mondays
66351285




No comments :

Post a Comment